Wednesday, 8 March 2017
Dear Maranatha Community,
Last week I received some very exciting news from ACARA (Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority). ACARA has identified Maranatha Christian school as having demonstrated substantially above average gain in NAPLAN results. Each year they look at data on around 10,000 Australian schools.
The Chief Executive Officer wrote:
On behalf of ACARA, I would like to extend my congratulations to you and your school community on this achievement. Gains of this magnitude are significant and worthy of highlighting and acknowledgement.
ACARA looks at the growth of individual students from Year 3 to 5 and Year 7 to 9. To be recognised for substantially above average growth is a real credit to our section leaders, teaching staff, students and their families.
I would identify five key factors that have resulted in this growth:
- Staff have created a Christ-centred environment in which students feel cared for, connected and happy.Lessons are engaging, build confidence and provide challenges to all ability groups.
- We have a heavy emphasis on data which helps track progress and inform our teaching practices from Prep to Year 12.Our focus is on growth for every individual, class and year level.
- Teachers spend significant time in teams collaborating and planning to improve student outcomes.
- There have been new programs implemented for writing, reading and numeracy over the last couple of years.
- We have high expectations of our students and ensure they receive clear feedback on how to improve.
Today I congratulated the staff and students. I would also commend parents for supporting their child’s learning and partnership with teachers.
Please encourage families you know to come and check us out on Open Day (Saturday 25th
March). Our desire is to see more students grow in their Christian character and reach their individual academic potential. From our experience their personal best is usually far beyond what they think they are capable of.
Yours in Christ,